Punishment, learned helplessness, avoidance and escape learning are all variations of operant conditioning in action. But instead of increasing behaviors, they focus on limiting behavior. They are not as helpful as positive reinforcement but they do help explain a lot of our behavior.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Compare and contrast types of punishment
- Compare and contrast escape and avoidance
- Describe the side effects of punishments
- Describe learned helplessness and learned optimism
Read these posts (if there are links):
- Punishment Is Only An Option
- Escape & Avoidance
- Learned Helplessness
- Learned Optimism
- Taste Aversion
Here are the Terms for Punishment
Here are the Notes for Punishment
And now a Quiz about Punishment
Do you remember a time you were punished? How did it make you feel? What would have been a better option?